Adulting

It’s challenging to prioritize work when I could just watch an entire show on Netflix instead.

Keymaster

If you’re doing something creative, Netflix is death. If I’m doings something kind of menial but has to get done like, say, data entry for an article, I often put something on in the background. If I need to concentrate, it’s something I’ve seen before @pokemama.

@pzed I almost always have Netflix on, but I do the same thing. I only put on things I’ve watched before if I have to do something that requires focus. Which can be a bummer; I love watching anime while I draw, but I’m a purist who only watches things subbed, and I can’t exactly draw while reading rapid fire subtitles.

Keymaster

I’ve been working from home for the last 10ish months – at first it was pretty great sitting on the couch and watching every episode of Greys Anatomy ever while I worked, but it quickly turned into nothing but distractions followed by anxiety attacks.

Now I’m all about separating my workspace (hello local library) from my living space (separation of church and state?). I get stuff done way faster so I have more time for Netflix!

Keymaster

I actually rather like working at home, as I find I’m way more productive when I’m in a relaxed and familiar environment and have a dog to lie on my feet.

I am well aware that I’m in the minority, though, @courtney.

I do something kind of similar, @courtney. Husband goes to school twice a week in Seattle, and there’s a Starbucks right next door. If I’ve got something I really have to focus on, I’ll go with him, and get a 2 hour total drive in the car plus 3 hours at Starbucks to get work done without distractions. But I do prefer being at home for similar reasons to @pzed. I’m relaxed and familiar, and I can minimize my distractions pretty well.

Participant

If by “working from home” you mean being a stay-at-home parental unit, Netflix can actually be a godsend (that’s right. I set my kid in front of the screen), though the point still stands that it’s difficult to prioritize “work” (entertaining the spawn) when you can just (let said spawn) watch an entire episode of Netflix instead….

Keymaster

@pokemama and @courtney, I know that there’s a pretty normal split between people who like to work at home and those who need to separate work and living space. I’m the former (as is, apparently, @pokemama). @rsharp and the Lady Zed are the latter. Just got to figure out what works for you.

I think part of the problem for me is learning to let tasks go. If I don’t get my whole list done, fine; readjust priorities for tomorrow if necessary, and start over. I’m not there yet, so I panic, feel overwhelmed, and push myself to get it all done in one evening. That’s exhausting.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to join this conversation. Login below or create a new account.