Adulting

I have been watching my older sister spiral into a mess of pyramid scheming thanks to the newest variant on the Mary Kay/Tupperware theme: It Works. Body wraps, facials, and green crap are the product. You pay for every product, including the first $99 to join. But you get to be your own boss! And have your own hours! And recruit your own team!

It’s exhausting. Has anyone else seen this particular, or similar madness invading their social media lately?

My friend is brainwashed into devoting her life to a pyramid scheme. She’s trying to raise two babies this way. How can anyone get through to her? (19 F) from askwomenadvice

Keymaster

Yuck. Yeah, basically, the company is using your sister to do the marketing part of selling for them by strongly weighting the incentives that way. Usually, you don’t win in that scenario. What other alternatives have you tried to get her to use?

Honestly, I have been pretty inactive in dissuading her from dumping all of her money into this. The most I’ve done is made it clear that I am not interested. She’s historically been pretty unpleasant to people questioning her life choices, as most people are. Mostly, it only affects me as far as being annoying. I’m not sure how she’s handling this financially; she got a paycheck, and spent it on a plane ticket to go to the company get together in Florida.

Keymaster

I saw this company in my Facebook feed a few months back! One of my friends was consistently trying to sell it for like a month – multiple posts per day… but she kind of just stopped. I guess this is one of those super expensive lessons you have to learn on your own.

Keymaster

@courtney, while there are lessons that can be instructive, this seems to be pushing well into the realm of unethical business practices, if not fraud. It’s pretty clearly designed to exploit people.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to join this conversation. Login below or create a new account.