Político

I’ve got frustrated individuals on my Facebook who are very upset at the results of the election, and some that are gloating. So I engaged one of them in discussion, figuring that I wanted to legitimately try and share some thoughts and get some of their own. It’s been relatively calm, if ridiculous. The individual in question refuses to answer the same question I’ve asked about 6 times, and is determined to ignore the voting percentages, but I’m trying to at least talk. Gotta talk if we want things to be different.

Anyone else having similar issues? Or do you prefer to stay out of FB/social media discussions altogether?

Keymaster

@pokemama, the day after, I most certainly dived into the Great Facebook Wars, but have generally stayed out of it since then. Most of the time, it’s not because it depresses or frustrates me, but rather because I find it somewhat ineffective. Most people’s Facebook (and other social media) networks of friends are highly endogenous, and so most of the time the hours that people pour into convincing the world of a particular point of view falls on the ears of….people who already agree with them.

Mobilizing groups of people, on the other hand, is a fantastic use of Facebook, but attempting to convince neutrals or opponents of one’s point of view from within a near echo-chamber can make you feel better, but that’s about it.

@pzed I certainly wouldn’t use Facebook to convince people, mostly because the people that you’d want to convince are often just as ingrained in their own point of view as you are in yours. I more wanted to see if we could talk, and actively engage each other. Which was, at least in this particular case, an equally moot point.

Keymaster

Facebook is so hard for people to connect with on – it’s so easy to hide behind the keyboard. But I don’t think these conversations are easier in person. I heard this great podcast about the best way of convincing people of your views – it’s something that I think social activists should consider: http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/09-generous-orthodoxy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to join this conversation. Login below or create a new account.