Booze & Food

I’ve been trying to lose weight since summer, and while husband and I aren’t really doing as much as we should regarding physical activity, we’re trying to work on our diet more. We don’t eat out as much, pretty much eliminated soda/booze, and are trying to cook more. I’m having a hard time thinking of how to kickstart eating more healthy/simple meals, though. Any good recommendations for starting out with less greasy foods?

Keymaster

Some simple things are to just swap out cooking methods @pokemama, as well as mixed grains for solely white. A good rule of thumb is “better than before.” Meaning, don’t focus on a perfect nutrition plan but rather on steady improvements.

Also, I’m a huge proponent of, rather than going for low fat, cardboard tasting versions of meat you should just eat less of the actual good stuff you enjoy. Rather than the 10oz steak and a small baked potato and veggies do 6 or 8 and double the sides portions, for example.

Load up on flavors that are intense but not sugary or fatty. Spicy is the shiznit. Salt pepper olive oil. Stuff like that.

Better than before is a good way to look at it, @pzed. I think I get pretty intimidated by needing to have a radical overhaul immediately, and since I’m not a chef, that tends to freak me out and make change that much harder.

Besides spicy/salt pepper oil, what are other good low or non fat/sugar options for flavors?

Keymaster

@pokemama, hehe are good, as are any number of spices that are strong flavors but not spicy (cumin, paprika, cinnamon, tumeric, garlic, etc). Citrus is another way to pump the flavor without burning your face off.

So, basically, Southern Europe, North Africa, and the Levant.

Participant

Or you can go straight Korean style and put gochujang (red pepper paste) on the savory parts of your meal! Spiciness apparently kick-starts your metabolism and makes you burn your calories more efficiently, so it’s worth a try. Personally, I like gochujang on fried rice, chicken, and mashed potatoes.

Keymaster

Also, pushing your spice tolerance will probably mean you eat a little bit less, as most spices are cumulative in your fiery fiery mouth. So double-whammy on the helping you not pig out.

Speaking of pig, chiu-chow oil on all things pig is fantastic.

Thanks for the tip @iamthealphabet, I’ll definitely look into that! I’m a bit of a baby when it comes to spicy things, so I can see that pretty effectively limiting my food intake. I think it sounds particularly delicious on fried rice and chicken!

We’re actually planning a trip to the International District in Seattle soon to pick up some specialty foods, do you think chiu-chow oil would be available there @pzed?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to join this conversation. Login below or create a new account.