Político

Keymaster

So, the general consensus seems to be the Hillary won last night’s debate handily, if not in a landslide. I have to say that I only tuned in for a little bit, since it didn’t really matter to me what the two candidates said, I already knew plenty about them. Short of something truly shocking coming out, it wasn’t really going to give me much new information.

Now, for the more interesting question: Will it affect voter opinions of either candidate? Will the polls reflect a mild move towards Hillary or will Trump’s popularity or lack thereof remain a generally independent variable?

I’ll go first: Yes, she gets a little bump from being able to use soundbites like how not paying taxes “makes him smart” and that the housing crisis “was just business.. It won’t be as much as she’s hoping, though, and this race will continue to depend more on whether or not we see Wild Donald the random tweeter (pre-August) or Coached Donald the Outsider (since then).

@otrera
, I know you have to have watched this and have a guess.

Participant

I didn’t actually watch the debates. My understanding is that the people I tend to agree with politically all believe Hillary won. Unfortunately, I believe that the fact Trump has made it this far in the political process indicates that logic and reason aren’t guiding principles on this election, and the debates will have very little impact on the outcome of the election. If you are someone who legitimately believes Obama wasn’t born in the US, or that Hillary Clinton is inherently dishonest, you are using emotions–primarily anger and fear–and sexism to make you decision, and no amount of HRC being right, or presidential, or mansplained to in a televised debate is going to change your mind.

Keymaster

@otrera, so you’re predicting basically no effect on polling from the debate itself. Is paranoid prejudice immune to the healing powers of mass political theater?

Participant

I’m predicting little to no effect on polling from the debate itself. And I think paranoid prejudice is the result of mass political theater–at least mass political theater consumed via social media.

Keymaster

I wouldn’t give our political theater nearly that much credit, @otrera. Paranoia and prejudice even if we were all living in huts. Not sure if it’d be more or less widespread, of course.

Participant

Huh. The internets tell me Hillary has gotten a boost from The Donald’s epic failures of the last week and a half. Has he finally found a line that he should not have crossed?

Keymaster

Fairness and taxes has been known to be a particularly sensitive topic with the American populace in the past.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to join this conversation. Login below or create a new account.