Booze & Food

Coffee is expensive, and I need it. So I stopped going to the Coffee Oasis that is, for real, less than a block from my house (I can’t ask for more convenience) and I stopped getting Starbucks on the road. Instant coffee has been my poison lately. But I’m starting to itch for a Keurig. I want that K-Cup variety of flavoring, and creamer can get expensive.

How do other adults work around this coffee issue? Where do you get your supply?

Keymaster

I can’t really speak to coffee options – but I would avoid a Keurig. I think there are better options out there that don’t have such a huge environmental impact: http://theatln.tc/1B7vPph

Here are reusable k-cups (which is kind of an interesting concept)..http://bit.ly/2gkrk9E

Keymaster

@pokemama, like @courtney, I would avoid a Keurig, for reasons of environmental impact (all those paper and plastic cups), cost (go ahead and calculate the $/lb. If you dare), and simply taste. I’m a much bigger fan of just getting a French press, which brews way better coffee in a much simpler way for way cheaper (all the oils from the beans aren’t filtered out by the filter in drip machines and Keurig pods) and a decent-to-good burr grinder to grind your beans fresh before every pot. The grinding will make a huge difference in the taste, as whole beans keep better, and the fresh ground beans are the best things ever.

Cost will vary, but probably be in the $20-40 range for the french press and $40-100 range for the grinder, depending on how fancy shmancy you want it. Beans will (then) be cheaper, and your coffee will taste better. All you need is a way to boil water and 5 minutes to wait for the coffee to steep.

Thank goodness for the second hand coffee maker I just got from my aunt. She gave me a handful of beans and I already have a grinder, so I’m about to embark on the beans/grounds route for the first time.

Keymaster

@pokemama grinding your own beans every time you brew is the single biggest improvement you can make in your coffee taste. I remember when @rsharp got his first grinder. I think he actually hugged it every morning.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to join this conversation. Login below or create a new account.